Enter the characters you see below Sorry, we just need best Contractors near S Rd, Garden Bay, BC, Canada make sure you’re not a robot. If you are the account owner, please submit ticket for further information. Jean Scott-Smith of the Shap History Society.
She said that the original name for Shap was Heppe which probably meant a heap of stones. Shap was important because several tracks through the fells met there and also it was where two Ley Lines intersected. The first representation of them was in a painting by Lady Lowther made in 1775 which shows two parallel rows of stones. Heppeshaw also known as Kemp Howe.
RIPPLE EFFECT WATER GARDENS. Lawn & Garden Service – Redwood City, CA.
When the main railway line was built in the 1840s the track was laid through it but some stones still survive. They can be seen from the A6 in a field alongside the line near the limekilns. From the stone circle the avenue headed towards Shap for over a mile. The route is crossed by four springs but few of the stones still survive and these are mainly incorporated into walls.
The speaker answered questions and then was thanked for a most interesting talk which will probably stimulate members to go and look for themselves. Barbon and as a child lived in Bank House. Dawson saw that Garnett had ability and encouraged him to go to Edinburgh to study for a medical degree and after four years he obtained an MD in 1788. At that time there was a great demand for treatment to alleviate pain and fevers but the help available was poor. Garnett was not capable of becoming a physician but saw the possibility of making money from working in a spa. From at least medieval times some springs were thought to have healing properties, two in this area being at Humphrey Head and Witherslack, but a few became commercially developed such as at Bath.
Buy or Sell Litecoin
Harrogate was a spa but the surroundings were bleak and the available accommodation poor. However, Garnett saw its possibilities because there were springs producing different types of water that could hence treat a variety of complaints. Garnett formed an alliance with Alexander Wedderburn, Lord Chancellor 1793-1801, who provided the finance to erect the buildings to make Harrogate a successful spa. The climate meant that there was little demand for the spa in winter and Garnett took to giving scientific lectures to supplement his income. This proved a great success and he visited many towns in the north. His reputation spread and when the Andersonian Institution in Glasgow was formed in 1796 he was appointed its first professor. Almost half a million civilians escaped from Burma in 1942 in the space of six months.
This illustrated talk offers glimpses into episodes from the evacuation and is a continuation from his previous talk. He had given a previous talk on the subject which dealt with the evacuation in the dry season but this talk concentrated on the wet season during the monsoon. WW2 but then Japan started bombing Rangoon. This prompted an exodus of British and Indians who headed for India. However residents felt safe from invasion because of British command of the sea. This feeling ended with the sinking of the Repulse and Prince of Wales.
There were two ways of walking to India from Myichyina one was via the Hukawng valley and the other via the Chaukan pass. Whichever way was chosen the problem was that there was a lack of food even though water was abundant due to the monsoon. Although the air force tried to help by dropping food it was not nearly enough for the number of people involved. The track via the Chaukan pass was through a quagmire with thick jungle and rapidly rising rivers and was considered impassable in the monsoon. However it was the way chosen by Sir John Rowland and a group of about 60 others many of whom were elderly. This group included many important people and their survival was due to the help received from Charles Mackrell. Although Burma was eventually recaptured by the 14th Army the nature of its original catastrophic and humiliating loss led to independence in 1948.
Dr Leigh answered questions and explained that his mother came from Sedbergh and had gone to Burma as a missionary where she met and married his father. Andrew Lowe: An illustrated talk looking at the range of historic doorways in the Lake District, in order to help people understand the architectural detailing and dating of buildings over the last few hundred years. Our speaker was making a welcome return reminding an appreciative audience that he enjoyed visiting Sedbergh so much that it is 25 years since he first spoke to the Society. This enabled him to look at properties without having to actually knock at the door. Viewing the rapid succession of pictures was a passage through time from the defensive doorways of castles to those of grand country residences, fine Georgian mansions, typical rural farmhouses and the grandeur of those belonging to mill managers and Victorian industrialists. Examples from different periods were taken to illustrate the different styles of build and dating. Tower with its 1574 date stone doorway to a medieval courtyard which was chipped higher to allow access for horse drawn coaches.
Yewthwaite Hall has a date stone of 1581 depicting a pair of shields, one upside down. Typical doorways of 1550s farmhouses were designed to keep the weather out. One such depicted an entry porch with a wall on one side to keep the wind and rain out but no wall on the other side in order to let the sun in. In the 1660s there was no tongue and groove joinery so the vertical joints were overlaid with strips of wood.
Square pegs in round holes helped to seal the structure. In 17c the date symbols as seen in Caldbeck sometimes included concentric rings to keep out evil spirits. The archeological detail related to the local geology. Good sandstone and limestone could be dressed. Materials had to be transported by road or water. The coming of the railways revolutionised movement of goods as well as bringing money and influence. The speaker was warmly thanked for such an excellent and authoritative presentation delivered with a sprinkling of humour.
Using Password-Based Encryption
The audience left with a mind to be more observant of local doorways and to have a good look at their own! 7 by Oxford Archaeology North on the route of the A66. John Zant of Oxford Archaeology North. 7 most of that section of the A66 was converted to dual carriageway. Under existing law the contractors had to finance an archaeological survey of the proposed route to record any sites of interest.
Firstly research was done to read all the documentary evidence available on sites along the route and also aerial photographs were studied. This identified known sites to be investigated but left much to be discovered. The distance involved meant that it would be impossible to dig the whole length and so trial slit trenches were employed. It was assumed to be a Dark Age boundary between two territories dating from the 6thand 7th century AD. However, when a small section crossing the A66 was dug it was proved to date from 900 to 100BC in the Iron Age. It probably was connected with Stanwick the site of the capital of the Brigantes tribe.
A small trench was also dug at Carkin Moor Roman fort which provided some 2nd century AD pottery but no trace of the Roman road was found. In the course of the whole A66 survey items that were discovered included Samian ware pottery, and from more recent times a silver spoon, some walls and boundaries, a culvert bridge and a water trough. On a pleasant June afternoon 17 members gathered at Salkeld Mill for a guided tour of this historic working flour mill. It is likely that there has been a mill on the site since the 13th century, with the current mill having been built around 1750 during a period of peace, prosperity and population growth in the Eden Valley and prior to a run of poor harvests and the start of the Napoleonic Wars in 1793. The original 18th century mill was much smaller than it is today, being one of several mills in the area each serving their immediate local community. They were cast in iron sections by B.
Henry of Aberdeen and then brought down by rail and assembled on site. Chalons in Northern France, composed of pieces of freshwater quartz. They are very hard wearing and resist cracking and breaking up. The millstones are of a ridge and furrow design and generally only require re-dressing every 2 years.
These stones are enclosed in a hexagonal box, called a tun, above which is a hopper for the grain. 30 minutes to grind each sack of flour. Over half of the production is used within Cumbria, with customers including artisan bakeries, hotels, guest houses, restaurants, specialist shops and home bakers. The last talk of the season attracted a sizeable gathering to hear Dr Mike Winstanley give an illustrated talk on the Highland Clearances. The first, taken in 1904 with brilliant clarity, was an outstanding one showing a group of youths looking over the valley.
8. Aimee’s Perfect Bakes: Over 50 Beautiful Bakes and Cakes for Friends and Family
This a huge contrast to one showing the valley totally under water in 1928. Then a view looking over Dent to the old workhouse in Hallbank. Church, with its box pews as it was before its restoration in 1890, Graham bemoaned the dismantling of the three-decker pulpit. He added that the Trinity College archive is full of correspondence for and against its removal. 1891 hay time using scythes with handles longer that the handler and 1896 hay time at Condor Hall. On the cobbled street by the Sedgwick Fountain a group cleaning it before the dates were added in 1888, another of Eastertime young egg pacers and one of three cows drinking even before its installation. A Band of Hope parade taken in 1905 showed a huge crowd passing by.
Further up the valley an early picture of Dent Head Wesleyan Chapel with an excellent show of Harvest Festival produce. Then a view of Stonehouse, Arten Gill and part of the old marble works near Stonehouse bridge, the latter a listed building and remarkably still standing despite the efforts of errant drivers over the years to knock it down. In Cowgill photos of the magnificent gardens at a house on Weavers Terrace and of the Mill on the Dee, was it for flax? Inn appeared with a pre-1908 car parked outside by the petrol pump, now no longer there.
Up at Dent Station a cattle wagon was waiting for its load in the siding. Graham mentioned in passing that the population of Dent was once over 2,000, exceeding that of Sedbergh. The talk was inspired by the many sculptured stone heads in the cathedral and she produced some most original ideas to explain who they were. The Anglo Saxons had originally built wooden churches with high roofs but later turned to using stone and some of these contained a stone stating which mason had built the church and when. Thirlie thought the faces in Carlisle Cathedral depicted the masons and were their way of leaving a record of themselves. Because they spoke French the masons and their families would have formed a tight social circle separate from the local people. On reaching the age of 14 a boy would be apprenticed to his father until he was 21 when he would go off to another mason to develop his skills but return when he was 28 to build part of the cathedral.
Bachelors were restricted to decorating their work with zigzag patterns and plain pillars but married men could decorate their work with leaves and berries. When they carved their faces a bachelor had to place his in the centre of the arch but a married man could put the image of himself and his wife at either end of the arch. The oldest part of the cathedral is now the Border Regiment Chapel and starting with the faces there and then moving to the east end Thirlie attempted to place the faces in chronological order showing the family tree of the masons. Kings Own Royal Regiment Museum in Lancaster. The subject of his talk was the War Memorial Village at Westfield.
By the start of WW1 Thomas Mawson had established an international reputation as a garden designer. His family firm based in Windermere had been responsible for many important local gardens such as those at Braithwaite Hall and Holker Hall. He was married with four sons and five daughters. His death had a profound effect on his father who determined to do something to help disabled soldiers and their families when the war finally ended.